2012 ASTA AWARDS
Nominations are now being accepted!
Click here for Nomination form
The Alabama Science Teachers Association presents $1,000 awards to outstanding
Alabamascience teachers at its annual Conference in these categories:
- Outstanding Elementary Science Teacher (grades K-5),
- Outstanding Middle School Science Teacher (grades 6-8)
- Outstanding High School Science Teacher (grades 9-12)
The Fannie Mae Nelson Teacher of Promise is awarded to an outstanding K-12 science teacher who has less than three years of teaching experience and carries a cash award of $500.
All members of ASTA are encouraged to submit nominations for these awards. Nominees must be full-time classroom teachers and current members of ASTA. Members of ASTA’s Executive Board, District Directors, or previous recipients of the Outstanding Elementary, Middle, or High School Awards are not eligible for consideration. Previous recipients of the Teacher of Promise Award may be nominated for one of the other awards.
If you wish to make a nomination for this program, please mail the materials listed below as one complete packet to the address listed on the Nomination Form.
Nomination packets will be accepted from December 1, 2012 and postmarked no later than January 5, 2013 as the deadline.
Faxed or e-mailed pages are not accepted.
- Complete nomination form (see link at top of page)
- Resume (2 pages, 12 point size font, Times Roman Numeral)
- One letter of support from the primary nominator. In addition to a personal testament, the letter must address the following questions:
•· In what ways is this nominee a highly qualified science teacher?
•· How does the nominee address inquiry and problem solving in their science teaching?
- Minimum of 2 additional letters of support. These may be from colleagues, administrators, parents, students or others who are familiar with the nominee’s performance and classroom achievements.
- An employment verification letter from the nominee’s principal
- Nominees must be a current member of ASTA. Membership status may be verified by contacting the ASTA Membership Chair, Jennifer McCrary, at email@example.com.
General questions concerning nominations may be directed to Charlene Dindo at 251-990-2230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.